The relations between the Italian Government and the European institutions are ensured by the Prime Minister through a Minister, whose action is supported at administrative level by the Department for European Policies.
The main duties of the Department include:
- coordinating the participation in the European lawmaking process at national level, as well as the incorporation of EU rules into the Italian legislation system;
- running the Inter-ministerial Committee on European affairs;
- drawing up the Annual Report to the Italian Parliament on the participation of Italy in the EU;
- preventing European infringement proceedings;
- coordinating issues related to the Single Market, the free movement of persons, services and goods, freedom of establishment, public procurement, intellectual property rights and State aids;
- communication and information about the EU, especially on the access to policies, programmes, opportunities and rights.
- through the national SOLVIT Centre, the Department provides assistance to citizens and companies reporting cases of incorrect application of the European law by Public Administrations of Member States;
- through the national Centre for professional qualifications, the Department provides information and assistance to citizens as for the recognition of professional qualifications, as well as for the free provision of services in the EU;
- as a national contact point of the IMI System (Internal Market Information), the Department coordinates and facilitates administrative cooperation and mutual assistance between responsible authorities of Member States on matters relating to the Single Market.
Dipartimento per le Politiche Europee